PUCB rehearsals and concerts

Hey guys! So I told you that I'll be updating about my band practices and concerts right? Well, here it is. I know I know... It's been like 3 months since I told you. I'm sorry.

I'm back in Singapore now and I've been busy with work and my social life and family. I worked back at Esprit since they are more than willing to re-hire me. So, I'm so sorry guys! but here it is. My band life back in Year 2 of PU.

So I started the year by sitting in the 3rd trumpet seat (my favourite seat). I have 2 other section mates. So it's like we're solo-ing our own parts. It was okay. No problem for me. The first concert was with other art societies like dance and acapella and the jazz band. It was okay. Though, I have never not been nervous for a concert before. I always have jitters before a concert. A week before, A day, even an hour before my jitters start to come but I ALWAYS have jitters. For this concerts and all the following concerts with PUCB, I didn't have any. None whatsoever. Huh. Interesting. I don't know why.

Maybe because to me, during rehearsals, practices, we're not so good and I already forecasted the concert to not be that good so that's why maybe I didn't have jitters. I have to be honest here guys. I love the band. I really do. I have grown to love the band. But the band doesn't sound so good. It's also me. I'm no pro myself. I'm as bad as everyone else. Throughout primary school, secondary school (especially) and alumni band, I have been taught to balance. Balance the sound of the band. The magic triangle. Chords, a lot of other stuff that I have been taught in Singapore that is not executed in PUCB. I would like to voice out but you see, who the fuck am I? I'm like some weird small ass Asian kid who is not so good in trumpet playing.

Then comes the practice for the 2nd concert (there are 3 in total). Still, the 3 of us. I would say. The songs are nice. Disney songs, throwback songs; the Queen medley, lion king, sound of music, polar express. Fantastic pieces. Sometimes one of my mates are absent and I will cover the second part. Which is okay. 2nd is still acceptable. Then again, 2nd concert, no jitters. I really wonder.

Rehearsals for the last concert is after January exams. This is when it starts to get interesting for me at least. One of my section mates is not attending rehearsals anymore because he hasn't paid the society fee yet. So it'll be just the 2 of us. He is playing first so I'm second then. At times, he doesn't come for rehearsals and I'll be like "holy God. I'm going to play first today". I thought it would be a disaster but apparently not so much. I actually played not bad. There was a few solos that I nailed and damn, I really underestimated myself. At that point of time I was like, "huh, I should believe in myself more". But of course, I was glad to go back to second when concert comes.

Just like my studies, I should believe in myself more. I have always doubted myself when it comes to music playing and study. Maybe, I should have more confidence in myself. But then again, without this doubt, I might get complacent and not do as well as I would have thought. Thus, having doubt is good but always. always believe that you are able to do well in the end. Also, too much doubt isn't good for you. So, be you.

And keep smiling,
Suhaidah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

University

My Temporary Job (Esprit)

The United Kingdom